Massage is an age-old, preventive, holistic therapy which enhances wellness and comfort in animals of all ages – regular massage keeps your active companion in top condition. Massage inhibits the “stress reaction” and activates the parasympathetic nervous system, during which:
- Breathing deepens, increasing oxygen supply to nourish and repair organs and tissues
- The pain cycle is interrupted as endorphins are released
- Physical touch relieves muscle restrictions, stiffness, and spasms
- There is less stress on tendons, ligaments, cartilage and joints
- Circulation is improved
- The immune system is bolstered
Massage after any kind of surgery may prevent adhesions —internal scar tissue that can cause serious complications — from forming.
Working and sporting dogs benefit from regular massage to stay toned and flexible, and recover more quickly from repetitive-use or stress-related conditions.
In senior animals, massage helps keep joints and soft tissues flexible, increasing comfort and range of motion.
And massaged animals are more relaxed around the house, which may lead to positive behavioral changes.